I love to buy inexpensive silver costume jewelry, especially earrings. Unfortunately after a while the silver starts to tarnish and it just ends up looking bad. And I no longer enjoy wearing them. Instead of throwing out a good pair of earrings, I did a little DIY and upcycled them to make them new again.
What you will need:
- Old tarnished earrings.
- Acrylic paints. I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint.
- Any brand of clear spray paint sealer. I used Krylon Make It Last Clear Sealer
- A paintbrush. A stiff bristled small brush works the best.
What you need to do:
- Paint your earrings using your acrylic paints and paint brush. I chose red because I didn’t have any earrings that color. I had to do about 3 coats to completely cover the earrings. Once you’ve achieved the look you like on the front, let it dry. Then flip the earrings over and paint the back. I let the paint dry overnight for each side.
- When the paint dries, take your clear spray paint sealer and coat the front and back to seal in the paint. Let dry overnight.
Note: Do not let the earrings dry on paper because they will stick. Use plastic or some other nonstick surface. I made that mistake and had painted paper coated earrings. It wasn’t a good look.
Are you into DIY? What projects do you have in the works? I’d love to hear about them!